Up to know, there have been more than 2,000 enzymes Discover . Generally enzyme has the characteristics as follow
- Enzyme is a protein. The main material of an enzyme is protein
- It is easily influenced, by environmental change. Environmental factors include temperature, pH, and inhibitor.
- It acts as catalyst The enzyme functions in accelerating chemical reaction, but the enzyme itself does not change after the reaction ends.
- It functions specifically. The enzyme only catalyzes one kind of substrate and cannot function for many substrates. The term is called one enzyme one substrate.
- It functions in reverse. It means the enzyme does not determine the direction of reaction, but it only functions in accelerating reaction rate until it reaches equilibrium. The enzyme also functions in substance synthesis and substance breaking down reaction.
- It is required, in small amount. A small amount of enzyme is able to catalyze a chemical reaction.
Enzyme is able to accelerate a reaction because it can decrease activation energy
source: biology. The unity and Diversity of life 2004